Carpet: something I just don't get

I sweep my floors daily. Often it's twice daily. Especially the kitchen and dining room. I am so amazed at how dirty my dining room and kitchen floors can get in just a few short hours. I thank my good judgment every time I do that I do NOT have carpet in my house. There's only one room that has carpet and it's my 5x6 foot closet. I've lived with carpet and I just don't understand how ANYONE would want it. I guess it's nicer on your bare feet, but for goodness sakes, get an area rug, something you can clean easily.
On top of being eternally grateful for my hardwood floors, I spend a lot of time envisioning how other people manage their carpets. ESPECIALLY if they have kids or pets. HOW DO THEY KEEP THEM CLEAN? I picture them carrying around a damp rag and a hand vac all day. Maybe they literally trail their children with it all day long, catching the mess as soon as it hits the floor. I've seen people's homes with carpet. It's clean. Even without kids and I just don't understand. I wonder if maybe they're related to Harry Potter and know some kind of spell for instant carpet clean-up. Or maybe they pray their carpet stains away.
Carpet in the dining room. What an asinine idea. And that goes for any home. I don't care if you are 20 and single, 30 with 8 kids, or 60 and retired. It just doesn't seem logical to put carpet in a place that you eat food every day.
Finally, carpet is soooooo unsanitary. I am NOT a germaphobic person. I will scrape the spilled mac-and-cheese off the floor and feed it to my kids without an ounce of shame. But I would venture to guess most people are not like me at all in that area. I know that just by observation. So I think to myself, "Gee I hope they never get carpet." How can you ever really expect to get carpet truly clean? And if it's a few years old, you can guarantee the planks on your porch deck are more sanitary than your carpet. Not that it really bothers me. I'd scrape mac-and-cheese off your carpet and feed that too my kids too. But it seems like it should bother a lot more people than it does. Am I right? Do you have carpet? How do you manage to keep it clean? Well, at least LOOKING clean. Hehehehe.

And lastly, an update. A lot of people keep asking me about the twins thing and I have the same answers. So here are some FAQ for those who want to know:

Do you still think it's twins?  Yes
Have you had an ultrasound?  No
Are you going to get an ultrasound at all? No, and as long as there's a baby head down (as there has been for the last 5 weeks, the midwife doesn't care if I get one either
Will you ever be able to know for sure? Maybe, if we can ever get another heartbeat
Why hasn't the midwife been able to tell? Because my placenta is anterior (in the front) and very noisy, (blocking fetal sounds) Placentas are also firm which makes it hard to "feel" a baby through it.
Does the midwife think there's two?  Well she's calling it a single for now even though I'm measuring a little large. She does say, however, that I am right on target for twins based on my weight gain. We both think it would be fun if we get a nice surprise on delivery day. Aren't midwives rockin' awesome? They BELIEVE in women's bodies and a little surprise is just another fun story to tell. I think I freaked my OB/GYN neighbor out by telling her I would still deliver twins at home. I found that rather entertaining.

Comments

  1. One word: Stainmaster!

    Okay, now more words. When we moved here, I thought about not having carpet at all (it was even in the BATHROOM! NASTY!!!) but I had a really hard time with the expense and the danger of having hard stairs. Even with the carpet, Ashton (London too, for that matter) has fallen down them more than once. We did buy kind of a dark carpet, which helps with the look of stains, but more than that, it's stainmaster and it's amazing! When anything wet falls on it, it doesn't soak in, so you can just use a dry towel to wipe it up. Plus, I don't allow food on the carpet. If the kids want to eat, they can stay downstairs. So that helps a lot. Most of the time we don't have shoes on upstairs either, but I'm not too anal about that. But I'm totally with you on the carpet in the dining room thing. I see so many people who even put rugs on their hard dining room floors! I just don't get it. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too have Carpet.... and 3 kids... oh yea, and 5 cats :-) he,he. I think it's clean (or looks clean!) All carpet in our home (which is in living room, all bedrooms, hallway {near rooms} and family room) has stainmaster on it as well. I do however vacuum, every night faithfully before I go to bed. Somedays I vacuum more then once, and somedays the kids vacuum a zillion times! We also have a carpet shampoo'er that is used at LEAST once per week. If we find a stain (such as red and purple popsiscle this week) we try to get to it as soon as possible with the carpet cleaner to avoid any deep staining. I love my carpet. But I also love my pergo in the kitchen/dining room. I DO NOT agree with carpet in the dining and kithen though. My mother in law has that (and in her bathroom, what?????) and it drives me BATTY! Think of the mildew under the carpet in the bathroom???? Well anyway...

    I think it's great about the twins! I am excited about the thought of a surprise on D day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts