Doing what it takes

One of my favorite qualities about Brad is that he is willing to do whatever it takes. I suppose the term is "tenacity" and it's no ordinary commitment he has to our family. It's more than working long hours or sleeping little. Brad's willing to look like an idiot, venture into the unknown, endure physical and emotional stress, and everything in between. I've never in my life known anyone who will go to such extremes as he will.
Brad was watching a special on CNBC about North Dakota and how it has 0 unemployment, how there are plenty of jobs, how there's nowhere to live because housing can't be built fast enough, and how salaries are incredibly competitive due to a large oil find in Bakken shale around Williston, ND. We began to consider our current financial situation... the same situation we always seem to be in, and how it would be really nice to have a cush JOB working for the man and paying off some massive debt we've accrued. Even in a seemingly forsaken place like ND, where it apparently gets 20 below zero (I don't even know how to imagine that), we would be willing to live for a period of time if we could just stop worrying about our bills so much every month. You get tired of it, you know? Considering how the stock market has recently given our income a downturn, it seemed somewhat like a call to action-- drastic action.
And so my DH, being the amazing man that he is, who is always up for any challenge, is off to ND, to seek our fortune (so to speak). It feels kind of like we are prospectors looking to find our fortune in the gold rush. I have been feeling a strange urge to don a bonnet, petticoat, and possibly pull a handcart ;-) So in the last few weeks, as we've been preparing for his departure, I've been resume tweaking, making home repair lists, and mentally preparing my children for their father's imminent departure. Not to mention undertaking some projects... like stripping and staining my front porch (I owe my mom BIG for helping me out on that project. I LOVE having such a capable mother).
People, who have known that Brad is leaving, have been asking me what the plan is, ie, where we will live, how long we'll be separated, what his job will be, where he will stay in the interim, etc. Well I just don't know. You may not believe me but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a reservation at a hotel in Williston, ND. There is such a huge influx of people that the hotels stay booked as people are living there and paying 150$+ per night. There are man camps... tents, RVs, etc where the excess stay and my DH will most likely be in his car until he actually accepts a job offer. He actually has already gotten a job offer (which includes housing arrangements among other tantalizing bonuses) but we plan to see what else is available, in person, before accepting any job. Once he has a job, I will be working like a mad woman, trying to get our house ready to rent and then myself and the kids will be following Brad out there.
We are hoping that we will only be there 3 years max because, let's face it, working in oil drilling just isn't Brad's dream job and our agreement, when we decided to do this, was to do everything we could to keep Magnum Opus Financial alive in the meantime. We now even have a full-time employee to man the ropes during the trading day. Brad is good at that, and he loves it (most of the time) and it's extremely important to me that he has a career that makes him feel fulfilled.
So there you have it. Another crazy Kelly adventure. I'm pretty sure I'm going to write an autobiography one day. Every time I think about our life thus far, I think we must be nuts. But hopefully it means we just have a lot of faith, a lot of that "enduring to the end" stuff we hear about in church so much.
Today was a sad day though. Beya summed it up in the following picture that she drew of herself "sad because Dad left." Notice the very sad looking face.

Of all of my children, I worry about Novan the most. He gets the most bent out of shape when things change and especially when Dad isn't around. The following picture pretty much demonstrates his thoughts on the day:


One person seemed rather unaffected, at least (other than Keshet who was sleeping the whole time). Or maybe it was because he thought he could stow away. Either way, it's hard to be sad with this smile around.

Me? Well, I might LOOK like I'm taking it all in stride, but I was pretty much aching inside. It sucked. Big time. It pretty much gave me a new appreciation for military husbands who are deployed 18 months at a time. At least my husband won't be shot at... and something has gone terribly wrong if I have to wait 18 months before I see him again. So I suppose it could be worse. But it was still pretty awful. I am so fortunate though, to have a husband who will do whatever it takes. I seriously love this guy.

Comments

  1. Daisy and I WILL be by for a visit, SOMETIME in the next few weeks ;-) I'll let you know, and I'd be glad to help with a project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up reading this... I am happy for ya'll though. I hope everything works out and ya'll don't have to be separated for long. I am going to miss ya'll!!! You will need to visit me at least one more time before you leave...lol If you need any help getting stuff together let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you all can be together soon. you get acclimated to the 20 below. I still dont like it, but I can stand out by the bus for several minutes and only begin to feel like I will freeze to death. Here I have found that the more it snows the warmer it is. Good luck! Travis leaves monday. We dont even know if he can call home ever. He may be able to come home for Christmas, and we will find that out last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It takes a whole lot of courage, guts (for lack of a better word), and faith for what you are doing and I really admire you and Brad for that. We'll be thinking and praying for your family and hoping for the best in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing!! I'd say you must really have a lot of trust in God. Miracles do happen and I believe that people see them every day in their lives. I pray one happens for your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adventure! Good luck with renting your house and everything. I can't imagine doing that with 4 kids. When we moved from Canada, my dad moved a few months before the rest of us (my mom and 4 kids with one on the way). Our house sold the day my youngest sister was born and we moved 2 weeks later. I guess you do what you gotta do.

    On another note, my sister's husband is doing the same thing! He's planning on driving oil trucks while she and their 2 year old live with my parents in Sacramento. But they only plan to be doing that for a few months. Maybe you'll meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, that is one of the many good qualities of Brad....you're DEFINITELY right on that one. Definitely keep us posted. It IS like an adventure going to the "wild west" and really, wherever you all move/stay you will thrive....because you just will.....that's who you are. But to NOT have financial concerns hanging over your head EVERY month.....you know, peace of mind might be worth moving cross country. I still can't believe that about the hotels there. Insane.
    Oh, and you should post a picture of your deck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts