Some fabulous curb-appeal

Project #5 Ever since I learned about Liriope from my mom, I've been a little obsessed with it.
It's a variety of plants that I guess you could call "decorative grass" as it's a clumpy sort of thing with grass-like leaves of varying colors and patterns. Well, it turns out I have a bunch of this stuff in my yard and of all the plants that appear to be "landscaped in" at some point in the history of my house, they seem to be the heartiest as they seem to like growing just about anywhere in any conditions. A while back, Brad and I transplanted a bunch of these from the backyard to line our front porch with. Since learning about their hearty quality, I have been mulling over the idea of transplanting the rest of them from the back yard into a more landscaped setting. Specifically, I wanted to move them to the side yard bed which before was a dirt patch full of weeds and a couple small bushes. When my sister came to visit this past weekend I decided it was the perfect project to put her to work with. It's funny that every time a family member on my side visits, they get a project. Maybe that's why they don't visit often. =) Actually, I think they prefer it that way.  So Sarah (my sister) and I transformed this once forgotten and forlorn plot of dirt into a lovely and hearty and pretty much maintenance free curb appeal.
I wish I had taken before pictures but here's a kind of before in which Sarah and I were weeding the patch first.

And here's the after picture.

Once we had transplanted everything, I bought a bunch of mulch from Lowe's to make it all purty-like and also to help manage the weeds that are sure to grow in the future. I have a LOT of varieties of this liriope in my yard spread everywhere so this patch is quite a sampling. I also worked on getting those 10x10 border beams into a straight line instead of looking like they were just thrown on the ground (which is how they looked before).

Project #6
This is kind of a big one and ongoing. It involves a little packing, a little storing, and a lot of purging. Since we will be moving to ND to probably a smaller and possibly already furnished space, I have been whittling down what I think I will be bringing. Everything else is being put in the attic. The attic, consequently, is being gone through and stuff that is inevitably in storage for the duration of it's life is either being thrown away or donated to a yard sale which will happen and Novan and Beya's school (ABC of NC) for a fundraiser. Other items, which might possibly be of worth to the right person is going to be put on Craig's list. Purging is one of my favorite things to do. I just love getting rid of things. Except for stuff in my fridge apparently. Brad could tell you all about the crazy mold and fungus I've grown in there over the years. Anyway, I have loved going through things and getting rid of so much of it. A lot of the stuff I've forgotten I even had which is an excellent excuse to get rid of it. I think I'm going to single-handedly stock this yard sale. Packing is happening slowly as I mull over the necessity of everything. Almost all of my decorative items are being stored along with photo albums, pictures, and almost ALL of our HUGE book collection. My downstairs and upstairs is kind of turned upside-down at the moment but I actually have accomplished over half of these packing, purging, donating, bringing tasks. No picture. That would be boring.

Project # 7
Electrical Work. We had some odds and ends that needed tying up. I'll spare you the details. The most interesting part was getting a new ceiling fan in the kid's room. Obviously my part was picking out a ceiling fan and then buying all the things I needed for the other electrical odd jobs. Fortunately Shane Burgess from church did the electrical work for me for a reasonable price. Here's a pic of the fan. I know it's probably not that interesting to you but it just looks sooo much better than the piece of junk that was there before.





Huh... I wonder who's yard THAT is? I thought it was so nice that it deserved a close-up.


I'm kind of in love with this grass. I go outside just to look at it sometimes... mostly because it just keeps seems to be getting thicker and thicker with each passing hour. I'm feeling pretty triumphant... and possibly a little too prideful. I should probably go repent now.

Comments

  1. You are totally superwoman doing all these projects as a single mother of four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling pretty triumphant... and possibly a little too prideful. I should probably go repent now.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOu make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY FOR GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! You're quite the productive person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. There is nothing you can't do. I can't wait to see you in a few months. I miss you guys. Thanks for doing such a terrific job getting our home ready to rent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts