Music

First I have to mention one new development for me:
     I successfully completed my application to a creative writing graduate school program. I'm of the belief that every bad situation has good come out of it. This is manifest everywhere. The plants of spring will inevitably push through the harsh edge of winter and then eventually take over. That's how good is. Even when bad seems to have won, good will always make a comeback. Anyway, the whole reason I am getting to go back to school now is because my Dad died a few years ago. His death from what began as pulmonary cancer was ruled agent orange related because he served in Vietnam. Thus it was considered a war-related death which entitles his family to certain Veteran's benefits. For me that is an educational allowance even though when he died, I was married and no longer a dependent. This allowance will pay for my schooling which is fantastic because I certainly wasn't going to justify taking out more student loans to go back to school. So now I get to write and write and write some more and get better, which is important to me and gives me something to work toward aside from trying to be super-mom.

So music.
     Beya has taken an interest in music. She's always liked it, of course, from a primary songs sing-along kind of way, but recently she has been asking me for my phone to listen to music. I watch her curiously, trying not to make her feel self-conscious about it because I'm interested in her honest taste. I've discovered that she really likes rich voices with very little "busy" background instruments. Her favorite song is "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri. I actually only have that one Christina Perri song on my phone because I think that's the only good song she's put out. Beya knows almost all the words to it which I know because occasionally she'll sing along with it. It's a little weird to hear my 4-year old singing "You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul. Don't come back for me. Don't come back at all!" and "I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed," but I suppose it could be worse. The other things she'll listen to are Owl City's Fireflies, One Republic, and Vitamin String Quartet. Occasionally she'll listen to my latest favorite group "The Civil Wars." I'm pretty thrilled about the Vitamin String Quartet because you have to really like the violin to listen to them with any appreciation and I think the violin and cello are the most amazing instrumental inventions ever. Aside from desperately wanting to learn how to play myself, I really want at least one of my kids to learn. Appreciating the music is the first step in the right direction for that.
     I got really sick of hearing Jar of Hearts over and over so this morning I took her on iTunes with me and had her pick out some new music. I made a couple suggestions based on what I new she liked and we found a few Adele songs and another by Birdy that she really liked. Anyway, I'm liking this new music hobby of hers. I can really get behind it. And hopefully soon (although not too soon) she'll be asking to learn how to play an instrument.

     Now I am sure I am not the only person in a marriage in which the spouses like completely different music but I don't think you could get music tastes that differ much more than Brad's and mine. I think Brad has a fickle taste in music. I think it's awful really. Occasionally we'll both like the same song but most of the time, his music choices leave much to be desired. He likes rap. I think it's mostly soulless garbage. He likes pop. I think it's "ear candy".... good one day, totally forgotten the next. He likes country. I used to. Not so much anymore. Country seems to be the more muted equivalent to rap. I mean, have you heard what country songs are singing about these days? Beer. Women. Beer. Soulless. Just like rap.
Brad has a word for my music tastes though. Weird. He says I like weird music. I think that's accurate. I do tend to look for weird stuff off the beaten path. I use "genius recommendations" a lot on iTunes because it helps me find music I haven't heard before. My library is full of singles because I'll find only one or two songs from an artist I'll like and then I'll continue the search for something different. Occasionally I'll settle on one artist for a bit, like Mumford & Sons or more recently The Civil Wars. I'm also a long time fan of Coldplay but I have to admit their last album was pretty much trash. Anyway, I'm hoping Beya will have similar more thoughtful music tastes so there can be one more member of the family on my side to pick good music. I don't think I can stand to listen to yet another Backstreet Boys album without putting earplugs in. I really need another connoisseur of weird music in my home to even up the score.

Comments

  1. you go Beya..Adele is one of my favourites..gammy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts