TV-Holics Anonymous

Hello. My name is Rachel and I'm addicted to Television.
     Not my kids. Me. I don't like to watch it much personally. But I like to let my kids watch it. Far too much. I'm addicted to the peace and quiet it brings. I'm addicted to the moments I can sit and not have someone bug me for something. I'm addicted to having an in-home babysitter. I have tried to stick with a moderation approach and have not been able to. Past experience has taught me that I am much better at the cold-turkey approach over moderation. I tried, back when we first moved here, to convince Brad that we should just not have our satellite TV transferred. He didn't agree. He won. I lost. And in fact I thought Brad was going to go stir-crazy without being able to watch Gold Rush every week as we waited for the satellite TV tech to get to us. But I don't blame him. He works hard and likes a little relaxation with me at the end of the day. It's nice background noise when we are doing our various tasks at the end of the day. But I MUST stop letting my kids watch so much because I am sick of feeling guilty about it.
     So I've been trying to figure out a solution. A while back I decided to cut back Novan's computer game time to only Wednesdays and the weekend. That has worked really well. But I would honestly like no TV at all rather than moderating it. At least at first. So I declare a no-TV month for my children. I think I'll just unplug the receiver. Except for General Conference, then we'll plug it back in.
     In the meantime, I've got to figure out a solution I can stick to. I am open for suggestions. I like simplicity, not charts and timers. I can do routines well-enough. Just tell me what has worked for you that has been lasting. I'll be asking myself if I really need them to watch it ever during the course of the month so I can assess whether I really want it. It really would be easier if we didn't have it at all but we have it, and it's apparently not going away any time soon. Maybe I should move the TV out of the living room? But I'm not opposed to occasional TV or movie nights. I don't really want all of us piling in my room every time I allow them to watch it. I need an easily communicated plan. When I tried to limit Novan's computer time at first, he would get bent out of shape because there was no quantifiable rule in place. "You've had enough" is not an appropriate answer to Novan. So I need something simple that my kids can understand and follow.
And I need some accountability here because I really want to make a change. So ask me how it's going if you get the chance.

Comments

  1. Maybe try just during the baby's nap? Then you could get stuff done and have them be entertained?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I guess you're the only one willing to offer some advice, Melissa? =) I could have guessed I'd like your suggestion. I think we both like to keep it simple. I think the nap thing is a good idea. I actually had semi-thought about the fact that nap time is a good time to let them. Currently, living in a trailer, it is very hard to have any kind of quiet because they are always running from one end to the other. So I think I may do a nap time type thing... only afternoon nap maybe? Anyway, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts