I finally did it

Today I enrolled my child in public school. I know my kids have pretty much been in school before but it felt a lot less official when they were at  ABC. It was technically private school after all and they certainly didn't call it KINDERGARTEN! Plus I have this built-in mistrust of all organizations mandated and funded by the government...and I also have a year's supply of food. Now if only I had some ammo and money under my mattress I'd be a full fledged citizen militia, you know, especially with all the kids I've got.
It went kind of like this. I had been researching the local schools and determined that academically they all seemed to be the same. So I cruised up to the local school district office this morning and walked in with said 6-year old boy and infant-in-baby carrier in tow because I figured I ought to show up with the kid I'm going to be leaving with them... I don't know if that's required for enrolling but I wanted to have all my i's dotted. It kind of felt like I was going into enemy territory, and as I type this I realize how silly I'm sounding. That's cool. I'm kind of a conspiracy theorist that way. Anyway, I left the other kiddos at a friend's house because I didn't want to scare anyone or have them assign Novan some awful teacher because Iyov climbed on the desk or spit water on the floor or rearranged the furniture. (yes, he has done all those things in the past)
The lady at the desk who was maybe 40's and had an incredibly stylish haircut was incredibly nice (just like everybody in this town) and the first thing she asked was, "Where do you live?"
Everytime someone asks me that I answer the same way, "Ahh-umm... well I have an address but it's not a mailable address."
She gave me a pleasant smile, "No problem, we just need to see which school he'll be in."
As I give her the address I'm thinking about the bus driver who's going to have to figure out how to come get my kid who will be picked up right outside the Nabors man-camp. I shake my head ever so slightly at the novelty of this place. I do that a lot. There are a LOT of things that are novel about Williston, ND.
"Hmmmm." The lady with nice hair says in a concerned tone.
I perk up at that, because you know, I've already got my back up anyway because I pretty much ALWAYS expect to run into problems when dealing with government organizations. I raise an eyebrow.
"Hey Jerry!" she calls to this cover-all suited guy down the hall who's carrying a big walkie-talkie. I honestly have no idea what she would need this guy Jerry for. He looks more like grounds maintenance rather than the go-to guy for elementary school assignment.
She turns her monitor towards Jerry and I. It has something like google earth pulled up with 16th Ave West the closest real street to where I live) shown clearly. There are what appear to be school district lines running through it.
"I just don't know if you are technically within the school district. We aren't doing open enrollment for students outside the school district."
As she and Jerry discuss school district lines I'm thinking 2 things. 1-If I'm not in Williston school district, what the heck school district am I actually in? I live behind the Wal-Mart for goodness sakes! There isn't another town for 30 miles! 2-Wow, it sure would make this decision about putting Novan in public school now a lot easier. I could actually keep him home without feeling like a rebel delinquent parent. (I had actually been strongly considering not sending him to school for the remainder of the school year.)
"Your good!" declares Jerry, resident school district line expert. Who knew you needed all that cold outdoor gear just to know everything there is to know about school district lines?
"Great!" I say with a smile although inside I feel like I've just sealed my child's fate. They know where I live. And they'll know if I don't send my kid to school. There's no turning back!
Ok, so that was a whole lot of drama to find out where Novan would be going to school. No one strip searched me, or asked for 3 forms of ID, or passport, or, heaven forbid my immunization record!
So Novan and I head over to Hagan Elementary where everyone is pleasant and nice, and interested, and exuberant. It looks like a typical elementary, small, but typical. We even meet his teacher. And no one challenges my decision to start him in January rather than Monday. And once again, no one asks for any ID or vaccine record or birth certificate. Honestly, I found that a little weird. But it was pretty much painless and Novan, after seeing the innards of the place, gave it a stamp of approval. All the kids in his class said Hi to him in synchronized fashion, just like on TV when they introduce the new student. Novan informed me when we left that he sure was going to have a lot of new friends! So that's good. But I'm sad. He's going to be gone from 8:15-3 every day during the week! That's a long time to be under the influence of a government organization. Anything could happen! And after all that school district line rubbish and my worry about pick-up outside a man-camp, I find out they don't even have a busing system!

Comments

  1. Don't worry...I'm a product of public schools...and now I have 3 bachelors degrees from public Universities. :-) I even had an IEP in High School. Don't worry, I can pitch in when it comes to parent teacher stuff. I like to clearly communicate what I expect of people who have care of my children for large chunks of the day! Good job, Rach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no bus?!? Wow. At first I was leary of the bus. I couldnt put my kid on a bus to go to school. Now I love it though because I dont have to drive him. Not all public schools are bad. We LOVE our school. They are super Awesome and tons of parent involvement. Parents are welcome to come hang out in the classroom whenever. Travis is going to go to school one day with Cardon next week. That is weird they didnt ask for any ID's or forms, or anything. I wonder if it is becuase there are so many people that come and some of them dont stay long because they dont like it or whatever and figure after you are actually IN class the stuff will come home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't like public schools are their private schools? Or homeschool him?..........if those aren't an option, then become the BEST parent you can to that teacher and she'll treat him great is she likes you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts