What Better Way to Celebrate 10 Years?

I mentioned previously that I have been thinking about how I can commemorate the celebration of my 10 years being baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that would be appropriate and blog-worthy. I have quite a few friends that read this blog who also belong to that church and other friends who aren't. My entire extended family does not belong to it and because of that, I've always been really careful to choose my words here for fear of offending people with dialogue that might be considered over-the-top religious. I don't personally like reading anything that is excessively proselyting in nature although I do like reading spiritual testimony that isn't belabored with religious culture and liturgical language. I've often shot down my own ideas for things to blog about simply because I thought it was "too mormon" or whatever. I want to keep people reading, not leaving because my dialogue is too proselytization-driven.
That said, this year is the year. The year I'm going to get all Mormon on you, more accurately, all Latter-Day Sainty on you. Not every post, mind you. But I will have one post a month highlighting some specific aspect of my religion. I hesitate in using the word "religion" because to me, it is my life's blood, but for lack of a better term, we'll call it my religion.
So why am I warning you? Well, not so you can run away and ignore any post entitled "Joseph Smith" or whatever, but so that when you do see a post that might be religiously-geared, you won't be wondering what the heck happened to my blog. I kind of feel like I'll be putting my heart on a platter here, up for people to secretly judge me or wonder how I ever strayed from my childhood religion so I'm cringing. I'm a little scared about it. Hopefully the curious will read, if only for curiosity's sake. That's kind of what I'm hoping. And the ones that share my faith can cheer me on and back me up. And hopefully nobody deletes my blog from their memory because the idea of knowing anything about a religion that once practiced polygamy offends them too strongly.
I started my blog so I could get out in the open things I feel strongly about, that I think people might benefit from knowing. Whether or not you are "religion shopping" or happy with where you are, it will benefit you to know about what I believe and the journey I have taken to get to where I am. I don't care if you're Buhddist, Muslim, Primitive Baptist, or Athiest. It benefits me to know what motivates you. I can't tell you the number of times I've been inspired by other faiths and I hope that my story can inspire you.

Comments

Popular Posts