What do you want to be when you grow up?

I have noticed for a while now that Beya has an unusual interest in anatomy and the body. She gets REALLY interested in anything happening on television in which blood or organs are shown. You might think it's just that natural morbid curiosity but she really likes to talk about what she sees. For example, I have really liked watching "Once Upon A Time", a series on ABC that sort of retells all of the well-known fairy tales in a unique way. Beya watches it with me a lot because, of course, it features characters like Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood. One of the episodes showed that the wicked queen keeps the hearts of her enemies locked up in boxes in a vault. They showed one of these and while I was kind of cringing, she was absolutely enthralled and wanted to know about the heart and why the witch would want it and why it hurt the man whose it was (because he was still walking around, but was a slave to the queen because she controlled his heart). So I started explaining why the heart is important and how it circulates blood and so she started talking about her heart and pointing out where her blood is going, and trying to see the veins through her skin. She comes up to me regularly to tell me she can feel her heartbeat through her chest. This is just one example and she is always interested in what doctors do to heal people (surgery specifically) and to say that she readily remembers Dr. Wallin sewing up her chin on his kitchen table over a year ago is an understatement. Anyway, I've said all this to say that the other day after one such episode in which she was talking about some grotesque aspect of her anatomy (can't remember what it was now), I asked her, "Beya, do you think you'd like to be a doctor when you grow up so you can look inside peoples' bodies all day?"  I am so serious that she did not even skip a beat replying, "Nope. I just want to be a mom."
I'm glad I've somehow made all this look more glamorous than blood and guts. ;-)

That got me to wondering what my other children would say, well specifically, Novan.
"Novan, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
Novan: "I don't know."
Me: "You don't know? Well what do you want to DO when you grow up?"
Novan (nonchalantly): "Be the President."
Um. I think I've got a little Brad on my hands.

I then asked Iyov. He, of course, had no idea what I meant. Kids are pretty fickle at that age. He just kept saying he would be big. OK. Well at least he has a grasp on one happens to your body as you get older.

Then I thought about what I'd like to be when I grow up, cuz you know, you're ALWAYS growing up, no matter how grown up you are. It's a very difficult question for me to narrow down an answer because I have so many things that interest me. But, my top two are: 1) a writer 2) I want to learn how to play a violin and be more muscial. While I'm doing that, I'd like to train to be a midwife, or maybe just a doula. I just want to see babies be born one way or another. After that, I want to learn more about a ton of subjects. Cosmology, astro physics, and astronomy are up there on the list. I'm kind of a nerd about that stuff. Brad can't believe that I really enjoy documentaries on space and that I think so much about the mechanics of creation. I can't help it. Heavenly Father is a genius and learned about all this stuff at one point so I must take after Him ;-) Then there's Hebrew. I think I'd really like to learn to speak, read, and write Hebrew one day, for a variety of reasons I won't get into here. And I'd like to make an in-depth study of ALL religious Hebrew texts. And that's just a start. But I can see you getting bored. So I'll move on.

Brad isn't here to ask, but I know what he'd say. He just wants to coach football. It's pretty much the only thing, other than stocks and the capital markets, that interests him. Boooooooring. Gosh, it's amazing that two people so different can work so well together isn't it?

So what do YOU want to be when you grow up? No really, I'd love to know!

Comments

  1. I wasn't getting bored! Can I come watch space documents with you because I can't get enough of that stuff! Aidan has actually taken a fascination like Beya. He looks through our med school anatomy books and wants to know everything about what he sees. Lately, he has been drawing in bones, organs, and muscles in his coloring books instead of coloring them in with solid color. Brett, of course, is slightly thrilled. I think I recall you telling me you wanted to learn violin a long time ago -I could have taught you some in Cali had you asked! And you would be the best doula/midwife. As for your writing, I have no doubt that it will happen for you someday! And as for me? I would say my top things are: 1)writer (as you know...;-) 2)own a store that sells seasonal home decor/crafts and has a little cafe in the back featuring seasonal dishes and is made with produce grown organically on a garden my mom and I could tend. 3)I would love to start drumming in a band again...or record an album singing either Celtic music or big band, or both. For today, however, I am going to be a dinner-making, bum wiping, bird cage cleaning, editor/groupie aspiring novelist trying to clean up my messy book. Thanks for your post, Rachel. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I grow up I want to be a RN. Seriously. I really want to go back to school and become a registered nurse. Someday's it's all I think about. I can't wait until my kiddos are old enough that I can work full time and go back to school to chase my dreams as well. AND I'd LOVE to work in either an OBGYN office, or in a hospital Obstretics unit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts