The Family Darling

So you know those days when everything goes right? Your kids seem to magically get along. They like to be close to each other so they sit in the same chair at the dinner table withOUT making a mess or annoying each other after two minutes. They finish their dinner without having to be reminded 15 times. There is no screaming, only laughter and love for each other. There are pleases and thank-yous all around, the sun is shining and the breeze is just cool enough to sit outside. Magically, the stars align further, and when asked to do their chores like empty the dishwasher or clean their room they actually do it without complaining first? When it's bed time they get their pajamas on without being told 3 times. They remember to brush their own teeth, they say humble and kind prayers and then fall blissfully into slumber.

Yeah.

Me neither.

It's fortunate, or rather I should say it's the work of someone who knows our lives far better than we do, that we don't actually need the day to go that way in order to find joy. It's the little things, as cliche as that sounds, that make life worthwhile. Fortunately the above items actually do happen on occasion, just not all on the same day.

One of the wonderful things that does happen every day is a result of this sweet face being in our family:

She's like glue, this one. If everyone is fighting or crying at each other or hitting or stealing toys from each other or disagreeing on what to eat for lunch or blaming someone else for their mess, there's one thing that's constant. Every person in my family absolutely and unequivocally adores this girl.

None of my kids have been as coddled or concerned about or played with or entertained like this one.

No one, and I mean NO ONE likes it when she cries. They never complain about it like it's hurting their ears or something. They don't like it because they all want her to be happy. Novan is always convinced she needs a toy and if that doesn't work he bugs me.
Novan: "Mooooom. Keshet's crying."
Me: "Yes I can hear Novan but I'm busy right now."
Novan: "But mom she needs you."
Me: "I know but she's going to have to wait."
Novan: "But she can't wait. She's sad."
Me: (sighing) "I'll be there in a minute. Why don't you go see if you can make her happy."
Novan: "Ok. But I think she needs to be fed."
Then he runs off to see what can be done.

Beya, on the other hand, can put Keshet in as well as take her out of her crib. I'm not quite sure how she does it because Keshet weighs at least half of what Beya does. So if I don't go to Keshet, Beya brings her to me. If I tell her I can't help her at the moment, Beya will carry her around trying to entertain her until I do.
Seriously, can you even handle all the joy on that face?

I tell you, I am really starting to get why it's so much easier after 3 kids. Iyov, mister bruiser, is so concerned about her too. While he'll scream at me all day long, he never has a harsh word for Keshet even when she pulls his hair or bites his chin. He loooongs to be able to hold her and play with her without mom always gettin' up in his biz for getting too in her face, being too rough, picking her up, etc. Poor guy. He just wants to play with her.

They all think she's absolutely adorable and they tell me constantly. "Aww mom, she's so cute!" "Aww silly baby, don't eat paper!" "Aww Keshet, don't cry cute baby." "Mom Keshet is the cutest baby in the world."
When Keshet started to crawl I promise you the kids were way more excited and proud than I was. For a week at least all I heard was, "Look mom! She's getting faster." "Oh my gosh! She crawled over to you!" They're her personal cheering section. I often feel like with her around, we all have this common cause: 'Keshet's Family' rather than 'The Kelly Family.'
Who needs perfectly behaved children and sunshine and perfect breezes when you have this cute squishy yumminess around? Aren't families just amazing?

Comments

  1. There are FEW things that warms a Mommy's heart more then seeing siblings care for each other. I love love LOVE how sweet my kids are w/ babies. It's just so tender.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts