The Worst Kind of Helpless

You all will know what I'm talking about.

Those times when your heart aches for someone whom you love without condition, but you know that helping them is beyond your reach. They don't see where they are. Where they're going.

Hell. They can't even see where they've been.

They barrel through life, like a blindfolded child in a china shop, disbursing their pain on the unsuspecting fragility around them.
What are they running from?
Who is chasing them?
Do they hear the sounds of the breaking hearts around them?
Do they recognize the sound?

You close your eyes and imagine what it must be like to be them, trying to explore their pain, trying to feel what they feel, because just maybe doing so will alleviate their suffering, will make them whole again. But you can't really. And you cry because you can't. Your heart aches because you can't.

Their suffering, you know, is their own. Even when they don't recognize it as such.Their pain is not something you can reach out and break off a portion of for yourself even though you wish with all your might that it were possible.

You are.
completely.

helpless.

You're heart breaks, because a portion of your heart has now attached itself to them. They unknowingly carry it around with them, in their pocket, with all the lint and fuzz, not knowing that it's there. Sometimes they empty their pockets and say, "What's that doing in there?" And then they throw it out, because they don't recognize what it is.

F o r g o t t e n. 

Why is loving them not enough? You must have failed to communicate it to them, because if they knew how much they were loved, would they make the choices they do?

I understand why Christ was able to do what He did. I would have done it too, were it possible.
I think of the people I know and don't know.
So much suffering. So much pain. So much

Darkness.

Who cares who's fault it is?

I empathize. I feel.

I know I would do anything to save them.

If they would just let me.

If they would just let Him.

Comments

  1. That was incredibly touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel and my heart goes out to you both because I feel so much they same way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts