When I questioned the existence of God

In college I took chemistry from a guy named Doctor Pool, who, by the way, is perhaps the most amazing chemistry teacher on the planet.
In that class, I finally understood ionic and covalent bonds, the beauty of the periodic table, balancing chemical equations, and on a macro level, the origin of the theory of macro-evolution and the Big Bang.
That semester I came as close as I've ever come to questioning the existence of God.
For example, I remember learning about mitochondria and seeing how they behave like separate and individual organisms. Indeed, humans seemed like nothing more than an organized conglomeration of a bunch of smaller individual beings.

Human beings, when confronted with something that doesn't fit into their schema of the universe, (whether it be interaction of planets or simply interaction of people), will adjust some tenet of their thinking to account for the new information that previously gave them the hang-up.
I had to adjust my thinking. Either I disbelieved science, or I disbelieved what I understood up to that point about God. I'm not one to ignorantly discredit hard evidence, so I had to re-create how I envisioned God, because I am a believer in science, and I am a believer in God. You can't believe in two things that are logically at odds with one another without adjusting one. You can't exist in a state of imbalance and be at peace with yourself.
It was during this time of scientific exposure that I had recently been baptized into the Mormon faith and also took my first philosophy class.
I was in a theological-philosophical-scientific primordial ooze, if you will. My mind was afire with all kinds of new never-before-imagined connecting of synapses and firing of neurons. New constructs took shape. I questioned and re-questioned my own assumptions about life.

That exploration has not ceased since.
With one exception. I have one rule, or ultimate assumption: God exists and is omni-benevolent (All-good). 
I throw omni-presence (everywhere at once aka all present), omnipotent(all-powerful), and omniscience (all-knowing) out the window.
Yes. I really do.
I know, it sounds absolutely blasphemous. A god that isn't all-knowing and all-powerful and everywhere at once can't possibly be considered a deity! I guess it's there that we would have to politely disagree. 
Probably part of my problem (or understanding as I think of it) is that I am NOT an agnostic.
I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I can't know everything I want to know. I believe 100% in the possibility of understanding the nature of all things (God included).

"Well we'll just never understand that in this life" is a common statement from people who ascribe to some belief in a deity.

That's bull.

I repeat, that's a bunch of BULL-ONEY that religious persons everywhere claim because
A) They think that the only place they can gain divine knowledge is from ancient scripture
and/or B) They think an incomprehensible God somehow makes him more amazing.

Most religious followers have a pitifully poor understanding of science and most scientists have a pitifully poor understanding of God. It's a shame that two groups, who should be so in sync with one-another are constantly at odds.
If you truly want to understand something, you can seek it out. Read all you can on the subject. You can study it out in your mind. You can entreat God for the assistance of the Holy Ghost for help. And the truth really can be revealed to you if you have done all you can.

Fortunately I didn't let a momentary hiccup in my view of the universe deter my need to know. I didn't find one flaw in my religious schema and decide to throw it all out.
And currently? I believe more strongly in God than I ever have. And I believe in science. In my mind I think science=godevidence. With every scientific breakthrough, such as this latest (and quite exciting I might add!) near discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle, my mind is repeatedly blown over how amazing and masterful the organization of the universe is. I can at that moment feel he veil of forgetfulness which we come to this life shrouded in being slowly lifted.
Science is the hard observable and testable evidence of God, which ironically, humans have turned into the anti-God evidence... wait, isn't that exactly what Lucifer's job is? Hmmmm.
No, when I read up on Supersymmetry, or gravity vs. dark energy, I think, "Hey! That's just like the law of opposition in all things!" I especially like entropy, (essentially, things tend toward chaos when there isn't a force holding them together), it makes me grin, because it demonstrates what happens when God isn't holding things together.  Kind of like life.
No, exactly like life.

The thing is, I comprehend things about God now that I wondered and labored over in the past, thinking to myself, "I think my brain just isn't capable of comprehending this!" Then I find, after a while, the answer unravels itself, and I get it.

Let me relate this to being Mormon. My faith only has a few basic tenets that form the necessary foundation of the Gospel. They are best summed up and simplified in the Thirteen Articles of Faith.
That's right. Thirteen little one or two sentence blurbs about what we believe.The beautiful part is that pretty much everything else is up for grabs, meaning, if you have some deep doctrinal issue, you are allowed, nay entreated to seek for and arrive at the answer yourself. I love that. What more open-minded atmosphere can you possibly place yourself in to explore spiritual issues yet remain close and personal with God?
So if I want to believe in evolution on some kind of scale, it's totally fine.
If I like to watch documentaries about the Big Bang in order to better understand God, I can, and I don't have to be ashamed.
And I can question the existence of God over and over and over, and amazingly, come out of it with greater faith than I had before. 

Comments

Popular Posts