Bicycles to Horses!

For the past week the kids and I have been visiting my mom and sisters while Brad is in CA for his "rounds" which basically means his routine visit to his clients in CA. He makes appointments with all of them while he's out there and always manages to pick up a few more as well while he's there. I have lots of pictures to share but due to my lack of a camera cord (which I lost months ago) I can only upload my pictures to a computer that has an SD card slot and I haven't had access to one lately. I do miss my blog though. It is a nice outlet for my brain vomit during the week and when I go more than a few days I start to feel like my brain has cabin fever or something.

So while cute pictures will have to wait I do want to share about the horseback ride I went on yesterday with my sister Sarah. Come to think of it I think most people who read this blog probably don't know that I grew up around horses, cows, pigs, chickens. I guess it just hasn't come up much. A little background is in order I think.

Well when my sister Sarah had I think her 14th? birthday my Dad was going to take her to the store to pick out a bike. I don't remember excatly what commenced but I do know that she was somewhat upset about the bike situation and relayed to mom and Dad that she didn't really want a bike. When asked what she did want she said she would rather save the money that would go to the bike and get a horse. I was 11 at the time and I thought the idea of getting a horse was beyond my parents...it just would never happen. They were not only expensive to buy but they were even more expensive to keep. Well I know my Dad took Sarah's request seriously because in about 6 months time she was the proud owner of her very first horse. Within another 6 months I had a horse and so did my mom. Slowly but surely the horse business took over our lives. There were lessons, shows, trail rides, and our Christmas and birthday presents were almost entirely dedicated to proliferating our love of horses with saddles, riding clothing, and other tack and accessories. My parents spent a great deal on our little "hobby" and all thanks to the girl who wouldn't take a bike as a brithday present. Looking back, Dad sure was a softy for us because every spare penny he made went to our horsey interests. Eventually Dad built us a beautiful barn where we could house all of our tack, hay, and of course horses.  What lucky girls we were!

So I have always enjoyed horses. They are probably the ONLY animal I can see myself keeping. I enjoy riding them, watching them and observing their personalities, and even (and especially) their smells. I cannot say I enjoy any other animal as much as I do a horse. When I went to college I was able to ride a little but not much and eventually got married and here we are now of course. Sarah never gave up on the horsey life and she now owns 5 of them. I have ridden with her rarely when I visit and it's been a long while, about a couple years since I had ridden and so when I came this time the weather was just begging us to go outside and enjoy it. So Sarah took me on a trail ride yesterday while Grandma took the kids and I enjoyed myself immensely. Riding a horse really is like riding a bike, you just don't forget how (although you do get sore). It was like hanging out with a very old and comfortable friend. I was in the saddle and it was quite invigorating, like a peice of me woke up and said "oh good we're back!" How I WISH I could still have a horse. You know, on the outside it seems really easy, just go buy one, board it at a barn nearby and go ride when you feel like it. But I am not so old that I forget how much work it was to have a horse most importantly how much time it takes from your life. Oh but how I miss it! I guess I am just going to go visit Sarah more often so I can ride her's!

Comments

  1. That is awesome. I am glad you had a good time. I have been on a horse once and I loved it. I would love to get on one again. maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I had forgotten the thing with the bicycle.....thanks for the reminder! What I do remember is how hard it was as a parent to help my kids receive God's best, not just settle for what I may have already deduced Dad and I could provide. It's always an effort to raise your level of expectation if you've already convinced yourself you're doing your best. That's why I am delighted with the way you and Brad are trying to help Novan get the coveted Devastator Transformer. This isn't "spoiling" our kids and giving them anything they cry for. It's showing them (and ourselves at the same time) that they are worth the work and effort it takes to bless and enrich them. Don't forget to remind him he can pray for the prize---he can ask God to help him do his part (the letters) and you can be sure he will be rewarded when God does His part. --Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts