A Love of All things Citrus

OK seriously, I am going to get you some pictures but I have to wait until Wednesday when Brad brings my laptop back to me. So instead of covering my fun trip to New Bern you are going to have to hear more about my boring opinion on things...Well I don't think it's boring, I wouldn't blog about it if I thought it was. While I was at Sarah's house we were whipping up some burritos and I was juicing a couple limes for some salsa. I made the comment that I LOVE cooking with limes then I got to thinking how much I really love limes. I said aloud "I think I'll write a blog about them." So here we are.

I am a "citrophile". Ok so that's probably not really a word but I think it accurately describes my passion for all things citrus. Limes are only one of the many succulent citrus fruits I so enjoy. I love to eat oranges and pinapples as well although I would have to say that, of all, oranges are my favorite to eat all by themselves. When it comes to choosing a candy or desert flavor orange is my first pick. I love the smell of an orange as it's being peeled. Further, one of the best smells of Christmas is the mingled smell of oranges and cinnamon. Love it. Grapefruits are no exception and I love eating a good grapefruit plain and drinking grapefruit juice, which I know lots of people don't like. Well I can't decide which I would rather have at breakfast, orange or grapefruit?

When we rented a house in California we had an orange tree growing in our backyard. The first year it didn't produce much of anything but Brad and I (well rather just me since Brad doesn't really know what he's doing with a pair of pruners) pruned it and Brad faithfully watered it all summer when it was so dry. That winter starting in the end of November we got bushels of oranges from that tree. They were sooooo good. I don't know that I have ever had oranges so good as the ones that came off of that tree. We sent boxes of them to our families as Christmas presents like a regular Harry and David. Aside from the actual oranges that came off of that tree the Spring was almost equally enjoyable with the orange blossoms that came. The smell was intoxicating and while many fruit blossoms smell wonderful oranges smell truly heavenly. Not too sickeningly sweet but just the right amount of sweetness and a hint of citrus. It is certainly one of the best if not THE best smell in the world. I can be quoted on saying on more than one occasion that heaven better have lots of orange smells or it just won't be heaven.

From a culinary point of view though lemons and limes are super duper important to have as a "staple" in my kitchen. I love anything savory or sweet with a lime flavor. Fresh salsa just isn't salsa without lime juice. Many salads I make require lemon juice which I think should only include FRESH lemon juice and there is really no replacement for it. I have also cooked savory dishes with pinapple such as black bean soup. Pinapple and cilantro go so well in that soup. Anyway there is one thing I wish I knew how to do and that is making candied citrus peels, you know like candied orange peels. Has anyone ever attempted that before? Also, I was reading Little Women the other night and reading the chapter that talks about pickled limes. Sounds like it's right up my alley. Does anyone know what those are?  Ah citrus, I would never want to live without you!

Comments

  1. you would be happy or jealous to know that two weeks ago i picked 3 giant bags of oranges from my parents house and the orange trees in the back of the nursing home are ready for the picking. there aren't many things great about california, but this is definately one of them. i'll think of you as i make fresh squeezed oj this morning for breakfast. wish you were here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts