Crawfish Boil

So two Saturdays ago our neighbors Spencer and Mari had a crawfish boil. They are native to Louisiana and I guess they must miss the fare so they had a hundred + pounds of live crawfish shipped in for the event. It made my stomach turn to look at the little guys crawling around in the kiddie pool in their yard in preparation for their deaths in a boiling pot of water alongside potatoes, corn, onions, and garlic. It was quite unsettling.

The kids had the best time just looking at the crawfish in the pool. Novan amazed me with his nonchalance as he picked them up with absoutely no trepidation. It really isn't like him to be so brave. Beya was pretty cautious though.


Once the crawfish were boiled alive....um I mean cooked, they pour it out onto the table and they just look like, well, red crawfish. Still, hardly appetizing if you ask me.

It is quite disturbing seeing their little carcasses spread out on a table for the human feeding frenzy to begin. Beya, for the first time, saw the process of live animal to cooked animal and wouldn't have anything to do with eating them. I even took out the meat for her and put it on a plate but she wasn't fooled. She did think it was fascinating though. Novan, well, of course Novan didn't try it probably mostly because he just so rarely tries new things anyway. I was astounded by how little meat you get from one crawfish. I suppose a crawfish boil is more for the company and something interesting to do with your hands than for the actual saisfaction of eating. What interesting habits we humans have.

Comments

  1. I didn't know you had a blog. Loni had to tell me. I love the picture of you on the left side bar. As far as this post goes, I think it would pretty interesting to take part in a craw fish boil. I think I'd like to try it actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do crawfish have about as much meat as a shrimp? that is my assumption, but then again i've never actually had one. How does someone cook a hundred pounds of anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've personally never liked crawfish, my cousin cooked us some and apparently it's a delicacy to eat the little yellow brains. UGH. I have always wanted to attend one of those things where they dig a big hole in the ground and fill it with seafood and vegetables and cook it. That sounds like a lot of fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUCK! I could never eat anything that I saw alive first. and I definitely can't eat anything that looks like its whole form. *shiver*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, there is actually much LESS meat than a shrimp. There is a lot of thick shell on a crawfish and the head takes up most of the bulk so it is pretty fruitless to try and get full on crawfish. Also, you don't cook them all at once. You do it in batches and it takes about 15 minutes to boil them so your party spends the evening grazing on the crawfish as they come out. Ariel, the grossest part is the yellow stuff that oozes out when you peel them. Maybe it's spinal fluid, or brain or intestinal contents but either way it makes the whole process highly unappetizing in my book. Madeline, I am SURE it is more about the experience than the taste of the actual food. It's a pretty bland way to cook something if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts