My 4th Child

No, I'm not pregnant. I'm referring to my garden which I love like it's my child. I get an enormous amount of satisfaction out of it. I love getting my hands into the dirt out there and helping something grow. I am super happy that this year I have been able to give my garden the proper amount of attention. Last year it kind of ran wild while we were living 8 miles down the road while the house was getting fixed. Brad was pretty worried about the size of it when we first moved in here. I extended the size of what was obviously the previous owner's/renter's garden and now my garden takes up a large portion of the back yard. I don't really care what he thinks though. It's not like he likes to be outside anyway. We have discovered that he is very much an indoorsy person and I am very much an outdoorsy person. I love to do the chores outside, mowing, weed-eating, weeding, gardening. I don't mind getting dirty and there is something very satisfying about coming into my cool air-conditioned house covered in sweat, dirt, and lawn clippings feeling exhausted yet accomplished. And I do sweat. A. LOT. Got that one from my mom. Thanks Mom.
Well here is my beautiful child number 4. Actually this was taken a week an a half ago and now the plants are even bigger.
That giant stalky monstrosity in the middle is kale. It's kind of my experiment. It has been there since February of last year and i am just curious if it will stay alive indefinitely. Most garden plants don't stay alive more than a season but this one pretty much thrived all through summer, then winter, then spring again. It just gets taller and taller. I had to actually stake it to keep it upright.  Hmmm, I should really reset the date on my camera.

Comments

  1. That garden is going to be a basketball court one day...when I get around to it. Your days are numbered garden...

    Just kidding. :-) Our marriage would go terrible if I pulled something like that. BUT, I WILL be hacking down everything on the left side of the yard and putting in concrete or blacktop for a basketball court RIGHT up to the edge of your garden. Then I can have what I think is beautiful (a place to play sports) next to what you think is beautiful (a garden).

    Then I'll stop whining about how much of my back yard you took up and how useless it is (because you can't play sports in it) since your garden is right in the dang middle of it. :-) LOVE YOU when you get sweaty & dirty...too bad I'm still at work when you come in. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts