Today was a BIG day

A couple days ago, Novan demonstrated that he could do this:

He can open the car door. It may not sound that big but opening the door to my big SUV is not easy because the handle is higher up and when you finally get enough leverage to pull it open and you're only 30 or so pounds, the force can knock you on your butt. But Novan's got it covered.
Ok so maybe it's still not that exciting so I'll get to the really exciting part. Today, Novan insisted on putting on his own seat belt. He usually does the clicking part but I always have to wait for him to get it, pull the slack out and hold it til he gets the thing plugged in.

And he did the whole thing today! I didn't have to do a thing to help him!
Of course, in her unmistakable desire not to be outdone, Beya decides she is just as capable as Novan (she's actually right about that) and she insists on putting on her own seatbelt as well!

Usually I have to do the whole thing with her as she whines that she can't get it clicked in and all that baloney. It's easier, when you are getting 3 kids loaded into a vehicle to not pick that particular battle of what they can and can't do because most of the time you're cutting it pretty close on time schedules. Fights while getting ready to leave or getting in the car are ones I personally try to avoid which is why I guess my kids haven't been able to this until now.

Here she is all proud of herself.

I made sure to lavish the praise on both of them. Iyov saw how much attention they were getting and wanted to put his own seat belt on which, of course, is relatively impossible when you're not even 2 and when you're wearing a 5-point harness. However, I made sure to let him know I appreciated his effort.
I cannot even express how much easier my life will be now that TWO of my kids can get in the car all by themselves AND buckle their seat belts. I've been wondering how I'm going to manage getting any more pregnant and still be buckling seat belts in the third row. Furthermore, how am I going to reach back there when I have an extra carseat or two in the second row? Well now I don't have to think about it!
Could life get ANY better than this?

Comments

Popular Posts