Conversations with Beya

Novan and Beya are like night and day developmentally. It's hard to believe that they are almost 2 years apart and it seems that Beya is more self-sufficient than Novan in almost every way. One way you can immediately tell is Beya's communication abilities. She has a much broader vocabulary and more complex sentence structure. Possibly the only thing she lacks in ability to communicate is a concept of time which Novan seems to get.
Anyway, I love that she is entering the realm of being a 4-year old because 4-year olds are just better behaved than 3-year olds and also she is an interesting person to talk to. We have conversations on a daily basis about things she thinks about and has questions about. It's quite gratifying to have a child that actually WONDERS about the world around them. Novan is not the kind of child to ask why and as a consequence, we rarely have conversations that are instigated by him. Usually I am poking and prodding just to find out what he did at school.
Beya cracks me up a lot in these conversations. For example, just the other day we were eating lunch and heard a firetruck in the distance. She then started asking about firetrucks and firemen and what they do. She started off by saying, "I don't want a firetruck to come to my house and start a fire." Apparently she was under the impression that firetrucks START fires. She was quite surprised to find that they actually put them out and they do that by spraying water. Then, of course, she was concerned about WHERE they spray the hose. It's quite ridiculous, she thought, that they would actually spray INSIDE the house and get everything wet. It's so fun to me to see her sit pensively considering the implications of that and readjusting her world to the newfound knowledge.
We've had lots of conversations about the new baby. She actually  asked the question, "Where did the baby come from?" and it took me a minute to figure out WHAT exactly she was asking because I was certain that what she was asking wasn't what I initially thought. Kids do that sometimes. They ask something and we interpret their question as something else. Anyway, so I figured, since we had talked about how the baby and all of us had lived with Heavenly Father, she must be asking for details on that. So we had a conversation about how we're made up of a Spirit and a body and where each comes from. The body, I explained, was made inside my uterus. We then talked about body parts and how a baby grows. I explained the umbilical cord and the amniotic fluid. What she found most intriguing was the fact that the baby is naked. I would never have thought of explaining that except that she asked what the baby was wearing inside my tummy. It always amazes me what she tends to assume in her head that is totally erroneous. And I swear she makes me laugh all the time with some of the things she says.
Beya will ask about anything that occurs to her like if earthworms have families and which part of the fish she's eating for dinner.
I enjoy witnessing her natural inquisitiveness. It makes me smile. It makes me love my job.
This is a picture of her dressed up for the birthday ball for her friend Ellie. I let her go all out and put makeup on. I even curled her hair and she got to wear her "Ariel Dress" which I made for her as a dress-up type dress because the thing is mostly glitterized tulle which is a pain to wash.  She loves it though and was sooooo excited to be able to wear it to the party.

Comments

  1. She is precious.

    Boys are funny. I ask Jackson what kind of baby is in my belly and he just says, "a big one". Boys are quite simpletons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! London thought it was funny that Ashton was naked in my belly too. I guess she was about Beya's age when I had him. On another note, I once put makeup on London for a dance recital and she got mad because I put mascara on (she has the LONGEST eyelashes I have ever seen on a 5 year old) and she didn't want long eyelashes. She cried and cried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks soooooooooooo pretty!!! Funny, because my kids all think it's ALWAYS worth talking about the fact that the baby is naked.......that and the fact that I get to eat all sorts of cool things when I'm pregnant and I don't have to share because "it's for the baby" (you know, like eating a chocolate sundae from McD's in front of them)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts