My First Raw Recipe

I know... it's been AGES since I posted a recipe, but like I said, I wasn't feeling inspired for so long. Today has been fantastic though and I'm only 48 hours into my raw food reboot. When I first decided to do it I was a little resigned because I was like, "Oh joy. Raw broccoli." But I've determined that it's far more exciting than raw broccoli and leafy salads. More on that later though, this post is really about a recipe.

I have to tell you a secret. I hate salad. But what I've figured out is that I hate traditional salad and how it's traditionally made. I also hate chomping on big chunks of vegetables. Can I tell you why? You'll probably laugh, but as far as I've encountered, everyone has their little pet peeves. Mine is that I like my food uniform. When I make a sandwich, for instance, it has to have equal parts on every square centimeter of the bread. So the cheese has to cover the bread from edge to edge, and so do the meat or non-meat items. Everything has to be uniformly distributed so that each bite is created equal. I will, no joke, cut cheese in exact shapes to fit the bread if one slice alone doesn't cut it. There's nothing that tees me off more at a restaurant than when my sandwich, burrito, fajita, taco, etc has a bunch of stuff clumped somewhere.

Anyway, back to salad. Usually salad has everything cut up in bite-size but biggish chunks so that it is pretty much impossible to have every item found in the salad on your fork. (Don't even get me started on salads in which the items are not bite-sized) If I take a bite of salad, it has to have something of everything in the bite so I can taste it all at once. Usually, as I'm trying to maneuver a salad, I get frustrated with how big everything is and in trying to get everything in my mouth, the dressing gets everywhere and I'm spending my time chomping through one big old piece of broccoli or something. I mean... if I wanted to just taste broccoli, I'd just eat a piece of broccoli, right?

So, yeah. I am NOT eating that kind of raw. But I've been pretty excited about what I am eating. Today, after I made this.... ummm, not sure what to call it, a Kale Veggie Bowl? I thought it was so darn pretty and my mouth was watering at the thought of what it would taste like. So I took a picture:

Fortunately it was as good as it looked. Here's the contents:

2 BIG handfuls of kale (without the spines) chopped finely
About 8 baby carrots chopped
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 granny smith apple chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1Tbs sesame seeds
3/4 cup chopped RAW cashews
(in a separate bowl I mixed the following and then tossed it in)
3 Tbs soy sauce
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 Tbs grated lemongrass (optional, I know it can be hard to find)
1 Tbs grated fresh ginger

Now when I say "chopped" I really mean pretty finely so that when you eat it, you get the whole experience. (see the picture) Kale, for example, is pretty gross by itself, but kale with all those other veggies and especially the cashews, it was so good... wow I really want to make more and eat it right now.
This made about 6 cups. I easily ate 5 cups of this and would have finished all of it except that my baby got a hold of the bowl and spilled it all over the carpet while I was on the phone with my brother.
Oh man was it good. I have a few insights about raw food which I'll share later on. But I had to share this recipe. It really was fantastic. Vive le Raw!

Comments

Popular Posts