What's For Dinner: Friday

Potato Pancakes with Yogurt Dill Sauce and Lentil Veggie Salad

Potato pancakes, aka Latkes are a Jewish thing. They are pretty much like hash brown patties and you can eat them with any kind of sauce really. I also like them with apple sauce but try the yogurt dill thing, you won't be disappointed. In this particular dinner the yogurt dill sauce is sort of a mediterranean type thing so it goes well with this lentil salad. There's not really anything foreign here except for Zaatar which is a Labanese spice combo made up mostly of roasted thyme. I have only been able to find it at Neomonde's, a Labanese restaurant in Raleigh but I haven't really looked anywhere else. You buy itin rather large quantities and I have been using the same big bag of it my mother-in-law bought me over 2 years ago.

To be honest though, you don't have to use it if you can't easily find it. You can use any combo of spices that seem right. Cumin and turmeric and a little thyme would work just fine. This makes about 12 4 inch patties and about 5-6 cups of lentil salad. The lentil salad makes for good leftovers which is actually something I always like to strive for. Who wants to worry about what to eat for lunch the next day?

Potato Pancakes
About 4 medium potatoes grated and as much juice squeezed out as you can manage
I did not this time but in the past I have added in 2 grated carrots as well.
1/2 small onion grated
1 egg
2 heaping Tbs of flour
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Form the potatoes into patties squeezing as much juice out again as you make them. Try not to avoid making them too fat because you want them to cook through. I know they don't hold together that well but be gentle and do your best. Fry the patties in a little oil on a skillet until just golden brown on each side. Then place them on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 for about 15 minutes.
Yogurt Dill Sauce
Mix about a cup of yogurt with several Tbs of chopped fresh dill and salt to taste. I LOVE dill. It is positively my favorite herb so I always add a lot. You can buy those squeezey tubes of dill in the refrigerated section usually in the nicer grocery stores. That's way cheaper than buying fresh herbs and it lasts in the fridge a long time.
Lentil Veggie Salad
In a bowl combine the following:
About 2 cups of cooked lentils (I cook 1/2 cup of dry lentils to get the right amount)
1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 diced yellow, red, or orange pepper
2 Tbs diced red onion
1 medium seeded and diced tomato
1 cup of chopped parsley
1/2-1 cup diced cucumber
a couple diced radishes (optional)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of olive oil (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
about 1/3 cup Zaatar or spice combo of your choice
I used to see parsley in the store and wonder who the heck bought that stuff. I imagined people dressing up their dinner plates at home for the sake of making something look appetizing. I went to a Lebanese restaurant for the first time and finally got it when I had tabouli for the first time. Parsley is GOOD. And, it is incredibly good for you. Brad thinks parsley is prickly so I always chop it up really well so he doesn't complain. I mean really, as if your mouth is hurting as a result, but whatever makes him happy right?

Comments

  1. These looks and sound delicious! Love Latkes! Can't wait to try this sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts