What's for Dinner: Saturday

Pad Thai

I know technically pad thai is supposed to have rice noodles but I had a bunch of udon on hand so why go out and buy stuff you don't need? It tastes just as good no matter what noodle you use. Now I know some of your were probably wondering what the heck I use red cabbage for and this is one of those things. In fact, two things on the menu this week call for red cabbage. Also, if you have read my post on tofu and have wanted to see it in action, here's your chance. Brad really likes Pad Thai and probably because he loves pasta. I am not such a big pasta fan but this is as good as it gets in pasta land I think. I feel obligated to point out that this is a close adaptation to the Pad Thai recipe in The Accidental Vegan but I change the sauce a bit and I use broiled tofu instead of yucky peices of plain tofu and I stir fry my veggies first. The veggies are also almost entirely different.  Ok so now that I think about it my Pad Thai is way different. We'll just call the Accidental Vegan my inspiration.
You'll need:
One batch of broiled tofu. I used:
1 pound package of extra firm tofu frozen and defrosted and cut into bite size cubes
juice of half a lemon
4 Tbs water
1 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs agave nectar (you could also use sugar)
Marinate the tofu cubes in the braising liquid about 15 minutes. I put aluminum foil down on a baking sheet, spray it with nonstick spray and lay out the tofu. I put them in the broiler about 5 minutes and then pour the rest of the braising liquid over them. When they start to brown I do my best to turn them over with tongs and continue broiling until their color appeals to me. I like mine nice and dark but if you like yours more tender broil them less time. I think it takes aroudn 10 minutes total.

These were the absolute BEST batch of broiled tofu I have made. I think it was the agave nectar that did it. I had never used that before. I could hardly stop from eating them while I prepared everything else.

While the tofu marinates and broils cook the noodles and prepare the veggies:
1 -8 oz package of Udon noodles cooked (or rice or soba noodles)
1/2 small red cabbage thinly sliced
2 carrots shredded
~3/4 cup of roasted peanuts
Stir fry the veggies in a little oil until just tender. Add the peanuts last after everything is cooked.

Gosh, isn't that cabbage pretty?
Prepare the sauce.
2 cloves or garlic pressed or minced
1/3 can of tomato paste
2 Tbs tamarind concentrate or just dried tamarinds (you can find this at an Asian market)
juice of one lime
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs agave nectar or brown sugar
water to achieve desired consistency
In a blender combine all but the garlic and blend into a smooth paste. You will add just enough water to get the blender moving but you want the sauce to really coat the noodles so make sure it's thick enough for that.
In a saucepan saute the garlic in a little oil until fragrant and then add the rest of the sauce. Cook on medium heat until bubbly and then set aside.

Once the noodles are done put them in a large bowl and stir in the sauce. Then add the veggies. Serve with a big handful of broiled tofu on top.

Comments

  1. OK, so if it's ANY kind of stir-fry looking thing, you know I've got to try it! But since I've actually had some of your wonderful Pad Thai, I can also attest that it is awesome. And this will be my contribution next time it's my turn to cook. Keep blogging Rachel, so I know what to fix. Your presentations and explanations on the blog are beautiful! You should write a cookbook, don't know when I've seen it done better. I would help?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts