My Greatest Blessing

Brad is the home teacher of an individual who died this week but had been sick for some time. Brad has been an excellent example of service to that family and reminded me of my gratitude for the Church in my life and in the lives of so many others. When the system of home teaching and visiting teaching is taken seriously by members it can make the burden of others light. While most of you lovely readers are members there are some that are not and I thought I would take this time to explain a little bit about service in the Church to which I belong, am a member, and love so much. The best way I know to do this is a little autobiography.

Home teachers (men) and visiting teachers (women) are assigned to each family in the church. Every active member participates in the home and visiting teaching of others and thus we come closer together, and learn to love each other through service. I have had my fair share of sweet experiences with sisters while visiting them and have truly learned "by assignment" first and then by love to visit with women who I did not previously know very well. I have had numerous acts of service rendered to me by home teachers, visiting teachers, missionaries, and other members of the Church.

When Novan was born he stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks. The first two days of his life I was able to stay at the hospital. I HATE staying at hospitals. I am not sure exactly why but I know it all started with my stay in the hospital when I broke my ankle at age 12 and had surgery. I am sure I was only there for a day or 2 but in my mind I have no idea how long it was, only that it seemed like weeks of loneliness and sterility, being stuck in a bed, and more loneliness. Brad knew how much I hated hospitals and he asked the Relief Society president if any one would be willing to come visit with me while I was there for an hour or so. And they did. It made it a little more bearable for me. Novan was born early and we had no baby items other than a crib (donated by a couple at Church) and a few clothes and toys so the Relief Society (the women's organization at church) went and bought tons of things for us from a crib mattress to burp rags, to diapers, wipes, and receiving blankets. When I got home from the hospital dinner was in my oven and continued to be delivered for at least a week after as I was at the hospital daily while Novan was there. My visiting teacher threw my baby shower and I received much needed baby items.

When Brad decided to pursue his career in financial services we had a rough year. We were on and off Bishop's Storehouse food for a year (Bishop's Storehouse is like a grocery store but you get everything for free). Food from the Bishop's storehouse is paid for from the fast offerings and tithes of faithful members. That small help in our budget made a big difference. The many times we have moved we have always been able to count on help from the men in the Church to load and unload our belongings. We have never received more help than when we moved to NC. When we discovered a plumbing leak under our house that was inaccessible a large group of men from the Elder's Quorum (men's organization from church) came and helped dig out an access "tunnel" to the plumbing and cleaned out our entire basement as well. Throughout our remodel process this past year we had dozens of individuals come and help paint, do demolition work, and put in insulation. I think the missionaries should have just put up a tent and lived over here with all the help they gave us. I had many women including my visiting teacher who helped watch my kids while I was painting or running this or that errand. There were two bretheren in church, a carpenter and an electrician who worked on our house for extremely cheap rates so we could afford to make the needed improvements to the office upstairs. The electrician actually had all his kids out one Saturday to help me paint the office as a service.

How in awe I am at how beautifully the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints functions. What wonderful people I have around me in my life as examples and friends. It is a huge comfort that no matter where I go in the world there will be a Church, my Church, Christ's Church that functions exactly the same as it does here in NC. We can travel and move anywhere with the assurance that we will be edified spiritually every Sunday and throughout the week. I will hear the same uplifting messages, be taught the same doctrine, and will find equally wonderful people full of compassion and ready to serve one another committed to building up the Kingdom of God on the Earth. It is the greatest blessing I have ever received in my life. I will forever be full of gratitude to my husband who pointed the way and let me go there on my own and his confidence and faith that the Holy Ghost would convert me and guide me along the way.

Comments

Popular Posts