Zealous Mom's Playbook for a Road Trip...Or Lack Thereof

I did not think I was going to get around to posting today because I am driving down to SC tomorrow to see my in-laws while Brad is in Orlando on business. However, I have made the time because I simply had to say something about the endeavor of trying to leave the house for more than a couple of hours. Heck, it's even an endeavor when it IS only a couple of hours but at least when it's not an overnight stay it doesn't take a day's worth of preparation. I know people leave things behind when it's only them going somewhere and when you add in trying to remember everything for 3 kids besides yourself it is a miracle if I actually get away without forgetting anything. I actually mean a miracle too because I don't think I have ever gone overnight somewhere and not forgotten something. I count it a success if all I forgot was my shampoo or something. There have been occasions that Brad has gone somewhere with us and he wants me to pack his stuff for him. Yes, just imagine me with the most obnoxious look you can imagine. Yeah, that's my response and I generally add a disclaimer that when it comes to him I reserve the right to forget his stuff. One time I actually did forget his stuff, all of it. Yeah that wasn't pretty.

Anyway, I was trying my hardest to remember today what it was like when it was just Brad and I and we wanted to go somewhere. I think we must have gone places just the two of us and I doubt there was a lot of consideration in mind and for the life of me I can't remember what that was like. My mom always likes to say "kids change your life" all nonchalantly, but my gosh! There is an unbelievable amount of stuff behind that statement not the least of which is the strategic planning of getting out of the house. I don't know about you but when I go out of town I absolutely despise coming back to a mess so my day of packing and planning really is a DAY because I am doing all the logistics as well as trying to clean the house and keep it that way in the wake of three maniac children. Wow, I am really wishing I could reconsider this trip......Must. Not. Think. About. The. 6. Hour. Drive. Ahead! Sheesh.

So you folks out there with no children to cater to really ought to take a moment right now to appreciate the simplicity of your situation....................................................................................... And we're back. I would like to end on a somewhat positive note and add a few acknowledgements to those who have made this trip possible:

My installed DVD player and screens in my Durango, don't think I would be attempting this without you!
The Hartford and Pacific Life Insurance Companies for the complimentary canvas bags without which I would be destined to pack all my kids stuff together in one giant suitcase instead of organized separately.
The inventor of peanut butter who has given us such a wonderful almost non-perishable kid delicacy for PB&J on the road
Lemons which enable us to keep apples from browning on long road trips
Carseats for their ability to restrain children while driving, a must for both safety and sanity
Navigation system which allows me to not have to carry a map and try to read it while driving
Finally, a very special thanks goes out to my wonderful in-laws who recently moved and now live 6 hours away instead of 1.5. =P Without you, this trial might not be possible. =)

Comments

  1. If we go anywhere besides my parents house we have to pack pretty much all the food we will need. Milk for Kaliya (she drinks goats) bread, cereal, dinner items... everything that we eat that is "special" oh and we only have a tiny car. it gets packed to the BRIM! we went to yellowstone... for 3 days... We packed more food than clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha---I get a big kick out of this, Rachel! Don't think there will ever be another day for us like those that came B.C. (before children).
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts