McScreamy

I want to talk about this guy:   He is so flippin cute!






























It's not hard to get this one to smile. All I have to do is smile at him and he returns the favor.  Do not be fooled though. This one will make you reconsider having children. From day 1 this one has been a crier. I remember the first time I heard him cry; it was way louder than any of my others could have done as a newborn. He then proceeded to cry more than any of my others had done. It was weeks of sleep deprived nursing pained torture that led me to decide that I only wanted one more child after this instead of 3 more.

It's a sad thing that the nickname that seems to stick with him is "McScreamy". Novan's was "Super Nova" or "Mister Buddy" and Beya's was "Beetle Bug" or "BeetBeet". Poor Iyov, he lives in infamy for his ability to scream endlessly. If I thought anyone would watch it I would post a video of his day. Sometimes I wish I could put him back in the womb to live out the next 6 months of his life in hopes that he will take it easy when he comes back out and not make my days so endlessly full of crying. He is great of course when he isn't upset. If only he would spend more time NOT being upset MORE than acutally being upset. It's not enough to put him on the counter in the bumbo while I cook dinner, he has to be attatched to my hip. It makes getting anything done when he's awake almost impossible. Often I just stick it out and he screams for the half hour or so that I am trying to get something done.
Sometimes I worry he is going to grow up feeling neglected because that's what he always seems to be telling me with his crying. Unless one of the kids is playing with him (which of course I can't force to happen) he has to be carried. I can't just sit down and hold him. If I do, I have to play with him.
I feel really bad on days that he screams even more than normal because I just flat out don't like him at all. All I want to do is get him to his next nap. Guilt is the worst part of being a mom.

I know it won't always be this way...although it sure seems like it will be on many days. It is hard to imagine an Iyov that is as content as my other 2 usually are. While I entertain the idea that he will miraculously change into an angel child as he gets older, I sure don't want to get my hopes up. So, I try hard to remember those things that I love about him. For one, his squishy baby-ness is just irresistable. I love that he is a foot-eater. None of my other kids have tried to eat their feet, but he only eats his bare feet when I take his PJs off which of course only happens when I change his diaper. As soon as the feet are free they go right to his mouth Three, I can tell that he really likes people. When someone holds him his eyes go right to their face, taking every inch in. It is fascinating to watch. When he's happy, (when I am carrying him around) he swings his foot forward and back. It is really cute and you always know he's content then. He is so easy to make laugh and smile. I have always been able to put him in the carrier to keep him happy. Of course, it wouldn't be such a big deal to do now if he weren't so heavy now. Finally, I know he will grow up one day and he won't cry as much, and that thought gives me a lot of relief.



Comments

  1. sounds like you need to pull out that mai tai carrier you made for beya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm an EXPERT at tuning out screaming. He won't feel neglected. Kids that age forget 30 minutes later and will STILL smile when you go pick them up from naps. If you put him down the same time to individually play each time when you make dinner or something, pretty soon he'll get the idea, dinner time, is my play time. Plus, when he starts crawling you'll be in trouble because he'll scream and attach himself to your legs. Don't feel too bad. Iris is a SCREAMER herself and by far my LEAST content baby. Maybe it's something in the water around here............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this has made me VERY THANKFUL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sydney was like that. I finally figured out she was happy when I'd wear her in my wrap and I could get things done. She got over it as soon as she could crawl. I hope he does the same! :) Love reading about your kids and everything on here...I just have to figure out how to subscribe...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts